Sun, 6 December 2015
Episode 198 -
You are (still) the best thing that’s ever been mine. In Episode 198 of Taylor Talk: The Taylor Swift Podcast, we bring you a Taylor Talk Classic: the song analysis of “Mine.” We chose this episode in honor of Rachel. This past week, in Brisbane, Australia, Taylor Swift performed “Mine” on the b-stage in honor of a fan, Rachel, who was tragically killed in a car accident with her mother. This touching song about love that endures all is a Swifty favorite. Let us know what you think of the song. Enjoy the Taylor Talk flashback!
Taylor Swift, you are the best thing that’s ever been mine!In Episode 121 of Taylor Talk: The Taylor Swift Podcast, your hosts discuss “Mine” in honor of this past Valentines Day. “Mine” is perhaps one of Taylor’s only true love songs, but is it actually true or just a day dream? Contact us to let us know what you think of the song. In other news, the RED Tour is coming to Asia. Check out taylorswift.com/REDtourAsia for tour dates and where to buy tickets. Enjoy the show!
Highlights from Episode 121 of Taylor Talk: The Taylor Swift Podcast
Main Discussion: “Mine” Song Analysis:
– Taylor said this song is about “finding someone who would make you believe in love”
– We love the depth the music video adds to the line “you made a rebel of a careless man’s careful daughter.”
– How crazy was it to see Taylor Swift pregnant in the video?
– Fun fact: Taylor Swift picked her music video sons after meeting them in an ice cream parlor in Nashville.
– Diane fangirls remembering when Taylor performing “Mine” live on the b-stage in Indiana.
– What do you think of Taylor’s new short haircut?
– Hooray! The RED Tour is coming to Asia!
– We’re dusting off our ask.fm account, so if you ask us something, we’ll answer
– If Taylor were an Olympic athlete, what sport would she participate in?
– If Swifties ruled the world, a “pathetic single girls party” will be a holiday
Sun, 22 November 2015
How You Get The Guys - A How You Get The Girl Analysis - Episode 197 - Taylor Talk: The Taylor Swift Podcast
Episode 197 -
THE BOYS ARE BACK IN TOWN! In Episode 197, we have an all-guys panel to discuss Taylor Swift’s song “How You Get the Girl,” a manual on how to get a girl back after you messed up the relationship. The guys discuss the cinematic style of the song, whether or not the female character is a strong one, and have a heated debate over the validity of the Taylor Talk 13-point song rating system. Diane isn’t a fan of “How You Get the Girl” and the all-guys panel has differing opinions on the song, but what do you think? Leave your comments below (and vote which guy should stay on Taylor Talk… heheh). Enjoy the episode!
Highlights from Episode 197 of Taylor Talk: The Taylor Swift Podcast
Main Discussion: “How You Get The Girl” Song Analysis
– Fun Fact: Steve was on the first all guys episode, and then never left the show. Vote in the poll to see which guy should stay this time!
– Does the treatment of the female character in the song support feminism?
– “How You Get the Girl” should really be called “How You Get the Girl BACK.”
– This song is written like it’s straight out of a 1980’s John Hughes movie. Even the title is cinematic.
– The word “ghost” keeps haunting Taylor Swift’s songs. What’s the meaning of the word “ghost” in this song?
– “How You Get the Girl” is reminiscent of the Speak Now Era.
– The panel gets HEATED about the 13-point scale rating system. You do not give a Taylor Swift song less than a 13 EVER, says Adam.
Follow the Guy’s Online Projects:
– Eric Scull: @spielerman, Mugglecast, Game of Owns, Improvised Star Trek
– November 28: The 1989 World Tour – Sydney, Australia
– December 5: The 1989 World Tour – Brisbane, Australia
– December 7: The 1989 World Tour – Adelaide, Australia
Direct download: 197_Episode_197_-_How_You_Get_The.._Guys__-_How_You_Get_The_Girl_Analysis_-_Taylor_Talk__The_Taylor_Swift_Podcast.mp3
Category:general -- posted at: 10:35pm PDT
Sun, 8 November 2015
Episode 196 -
From our living room to yours, we bring you Taylor Talk Live! Episode 196 was recorded live to our listeners via Youtube on November 7th 3pm PST / 6pm EST. You can watch the Youtube version or listen on iTunes to hear us discuss the end of the US 1989 Tour. We analyze the setlist, costumes, and compare the 1989 Tour to Taylor’s other tours. If you have seen the 1989 Tour, was it your favorite tour or does another tour hold a special place in your heart? Enjoy the episode!
Highlights from Episode 196 of Taylor Talk: The Taylor Swift Podcast
Main Discussion: The 1989 World Tour Wrap Up
– In the four years Taylor Talk has been on the air, we’ve had over 3.7 million downloads! What!
– Adam inspires us (bores us) with more Taylor Talk statistics.
– Did you know that Taylor gave every single fan a present at each concert?
– The Setlist — What was your favorite performance? Any songs you wished would have been included on tour?
– Everyone was excited about all the male dancers on tour.
– Listener engagement really made this episode fun! We loved hearing from you on twitter #TaylorTalkLive.
– Some lucky winners will get their Taylor Talk t-shirts very soon!
– See a complete list of the 1989 World Tour special guests on theswiftagency.com.
– Check out Steve’s 1989 Special Guest playlist on Spotify.
– November 10, 11, 12: The 1989 World Tour – Shanghai, China
Submit to the Show!
TAYLOR CONNECT: TaylorTalk13
VOICEMAIL: (240) 31-SWIFT / (240) 317-9438
Direct download: 196_Episode_196_-_Taylor_Talk_LIVE_-_Taylor_Talk__The_Taylor_Swift_Podcast.mp3
Category:general -- posted at: 11:05pm PDT
Sun, 25 October 2015
Episode 195 -
They just don’t make pop stars like Taylor Swift. In Episode 195 of Taylor Talk: The Taylor Swift Podcast, we cover GQ Magazine’s “interrogation” of Taylor Swift. GQ’s journalist, Chuck Klosterman, holds nothing back when he asks Taylor the hardball questions about her songwriting, her fame, her public persona, and the most hitting, “Is thinking about [her] real life an essential part of appreciating [her] music?” Can Taylor Swift’s music be enjoyed if you know nothing about her? Can her songs stand alone without the megastar that is Taylor Swift behind them? The hosts give their perspective in the episode, but we want to hear yours. Leave your thoughts in the comments section. Enjoy the show!
Highlights from Episode 195 of Taylor Talk: The Taylor Swift Podcast
Main Discussion: GQ Cover Article/Interview
– Taylor reveals her vision for the “Wildest Dreams” music video. Does this change your perception of the song?
– The music video idea was inspired by Ava Gardner’s Secret Conversations.
– “If you don’t take Swift seriously, you don’t take contemporary music seriously.”
– GQ claims Taylor’s 1989 could rival Michael Jackson’s Thriller if it had been released in the 1980s.
– Would Taylor’s music be popular if it wasn’t Taylor Swift behind it? What a blunt question.
– Taylor Swift is 25. But she is older than you. (but this is obviously true if you are under 25).
– Taylor has been nominated for SIX AMA Awards! Vote now at ama.votenow.tv
– The 1989 World Tour continues to surprise with Ellie Goulding, Miranda Lambert, and Tove Lo as special guests.
– October 27: The 1989 World Tour – Miami, FL
– October 31: The 1989 World Tour – Tampa, FL
Direct download: 195_Episode_195_-_GQ_-_Taylor_Talk__The_Taylor_Swift_Podcast.mp3
Category:general -- posted at: 9:47pm PDT
Sun, 11 October 2015
The Story Of Us - Episode 194 - Taylor Talk: The Taylor Swift Podcast -- Swifties are also listening to "I Got The Boy" by Jana Kramer
Episode 194 -
If Taylor Swift is taking a break, the story of us looks a lot like a tragedy now… This week, Taylor Swift slayed the fandom by telling NME, “I think I should take some time off. I think people might need a break from me.” Cue massive Swifty panic. However, in Episode 194, your hosts try to calm your fears. Taylor Swift usually takes a break after tours and before the next album, so this is normal. Right? What are your thoughts on Taylor Swift potentially taking a break? Share your thoughts by leaving us a comment below. Enjoy the episode!
Highlights from Episode 194 of Taylor Talk: The Taylor Swift Podcast
Main Discussion: “Story of Us” Song Analysis
– Taylor’s discussion of Speak Now on her Grammy Pro special has us missing her Speak Now songs!
– Is Taylor’s concept for “The Story of Us” a little naive?
– Fun Fact: You can learn literary terms with Taylor Swift. And Taylor Talk.
– Miscommunication is the cause of all problems really.
– Steve uses the word “paradox” in a sentence and we’re all impressed.
– Friendly reminder to speak now instead of pretending this is nothing…
– Check out Taylor’s mini-“Secret Session” with Grammy Pro!
– Taylor Swift graces the cover of GQ for the very first time.
– Taylor Swift says she’s going to take a break…? THIS IS NOT A DRILL.
– If Swifties ruled the world, we’d send all the media to a deserted island! Muahah.
– We get one of the nicest iTunes reviews ever. (Jk. They’re ALL SO NICE)
– Swifties are listening to “I Got the Boy” sung by Jana Kramer, written by Jamie Lynn Spears.
– October 12: The 1989 World Tour – Fargo, ND
– October 17: The 1989 World Tour – Dallas, TX
– October 20: The 1989 World Tour – Lexington, KY
– October 21: The 1989 World Tour – Greensboro, NC
– October 24: The 1989 World Tour – Atlanta, GA
Direct download: 194_Episode_194_-_The_Story_Of_Us_-_Taylor_Talk__The_Taylor_Swift_Podcast.mp3
Category:general -- posted at: 10:33pm PDT
Sun, 27 September 2015
Ryan Adams 1989 and Vanity Fair - Episode 193 - Taylor Talk: The Taylor Swift Podcast - Swifties are also listening to House Party by Sam Hunt
Episode 193 - Taylor Swift’s got the moves like Jagger. In Episode 193, your hosts Adam, Diane, and Steve recap Taylor Swift’s 1989 World Tour Nashville stop as well as discuss Taylor’s revealing interview with Vanity Fair. The interview highlights Taylor’s response to the Apple Music incident, a potential Kayne-Taylor collaboration, and whose careers Taylor most admires. In the interview, Taylor still maintains that 1989 is her most “sonically cohesive” album. What do you think? Do you think 1989 is sonically cohesive or do some songs stick out more than others? Leave your thoughts in the comments below. Happy listening!
Highlights from Episode 193 of Taylor Talk: The Taylor Swift Podcast
Main Discussion: Taylor Swift’s Vanity Fair Cover
– Tip: When a magazine says “Source close to Swift says…”, it’s a lie.
– Do you think 1989 is the most sonically cohesive album?
– Taylor gives us the behind-the-scenes account of the Apple Music incident in Vanity Fair.
– Unlike previous eras, Taylor now keeps up with the gossip surrounding her.
– What would a Kayne/Taylor collaboration sound like?
– Who Taylor admires says a lot about how she runs her business.
– Question for comments: which song on 1989 stands out and makes the album not perfectly sonically cohesive?
– It’s the return of Stump the Host (can someone try to stump Diane for the next show?)
– Taylor did not hold back with surprise guests from the Nashville 1989 shows!!
– Ryan Adams’ 1989 cover album is now available. What did you think of it?
– You know you’re a Swifty when you have a Taylor Swift coloring book!
– Swifties are having a house party listening to “House Party” by Sam Hunt.
September 28 – 1989 World Tour – St. Louis, MO
October 2 & 3 – 1989 World Tour – Toronto, ON
October 8 – 1989 World Tour – Des Moines, IA
October 9 – 1989 World Tour – Omaha, NE
Direct download: 193_Episode_193_-_Vanity_Fair_Ryan_Adams_-_Taylor_Talk__The_Taylor_Swift_Podcast.mp3
Category:general -- posted at: 10:24pm PDT
Sun, 13 September 2015
Episode 192 - It’s Diane’s turn for Taylor Talk Classic… Out of the Woods! In Episode 192, the hosts relive how they marveled at the masterpiece that is “Out of the Woods,” a song off Taylor’s album, 1989, co-written by Taylor Swift and Jack Antonoff. Taylor said this song is about the “fragility” of a relationship and tried to make the music match the frantic feeling of wondering if the relationship will end tomorrow or continue on. You know the hosts loved the song (now and forever), but what do you think? Feel free to share your thoughts. Happy listening!
Highlights from Episode 192 of Taylor Talk: The Taylor Swift Podcast
Main Discussion: “Out of the Woods” by Taylor Swift and Jack Antonoff
– Jack Antonoff, co-writer, calls this song “one of the most important things I’ve ever been a part of.”
– What were your initial reactions when you heard the song? Diane’s was one word: WHOA
– We predict that Taylor Swift will single handedly revive the Polaroid brand.
– Is the chorus too repetitive? No. This is repetition with a purpose.
– We admire Taylor and Jack’s mastery of the English language. “Built to fall apart” is amaaaazing.
– What’s your favorite song lyric? Can you pick just one?
– We compare “Out of the Woods” to some of Taylor’s other songs. All Too Well 2.0 anyone?
– If Jack Antonoff and Taylor Swift can create a song like this when they’re so young, imagine what else they have in store for us down the road.
Direct download: 192_Episode_192_-_Out_Of_The_Woods_-_Taylor_Talk__The_Taylor_Swift_Podcast.mp3
Category:general -- posted at: 11:25pm PDT
Sun, 30 August 2015
Episode 191 - Say you’ll remember me, even if it’s just pretend… Ladies and gentlemen, the music video you have been waiting for has arrived. The music video for “Wildest Dreams” is out now and it is absolute perfection!!! (You can hear the fangirl in my voice!) In Episode 191, your hosts Adam, Diane, and Steve break down the “Wildest Dream” music video thematically and discuss how the visual elements (Old Hollywood, Africa) relate to the story of the song. Since there was so much detail in this video, we’re sure we may have missed some moments, so let us know what your favorite parts were. What did you think of the video? Happy listening!
Highlights from Episode 191 of Taylor Talk: The Taylor Swift Podcast
Main Discussion: “Wildest Dreams” Music Video
– I think we can agree that this was the perfect video for the perfect song!!!
– The video took the lyric “even if it’s just pretend” and ran with it… Cue shattering heartbreak.
– How did Old Hollywood and shots of Africa contribute to the theme of the song?
– Steve notes Taylor’s strong resemblance to Ava Gardner.
– All of Taylor’s proceeds from the music video will be donated to wild animal conservation efforts through the African Parks Foundation of America.
– There were so many guests at Taylor’s five sold-out LA shows that it was hard to keep track. (Oops! We forgot America’s sweetheart, Ellen DeGeneres.)
– Nicki Minaj opened the MTV VMAs with Taylor Swift as her surprise guest! Looks like there’s no bad blood between them.
– And Video of the Year goes to…. Taylor Swift for “Bad Blood”!!!
– September 4: The 1989 World Tour – Salt Lake City, UT
– September 5 & 6: The 1989 World Tour – Denver, CO
– September 9: The 1989 World Tour – Houston, TX
– September 11 & 12: The 1989 World Tour – St. Paul, MN
Direct download: 191_Episode_191_-_Wildest_Dreams_Music_Video_-_Taylor_Talk__The_Taylor_Swift_Podcast.mp3
Category:general -- posted at: 9:51pm PDT
Sun, 16 August 2015
Episode 190 - Swifties, this week we bring you the first Taylor Talk Classic! As Adam so charismatically explains in this episode’s introduction, we have years worth of content we want to share with you (just in case you haven’t listened to every single episode!) Adam chose one of his favorites this week, the “All The Guys” episode, which was originally released in March 2013. Listen up to gain some insight on what it’s like to be a male Swifty. (And fun fact: this was Steve’s first Taylor Talk episode!) Enjoy!
Highlights from Episode 190 of Taylor Talk: The Taylor Swift Podcast
Main Discussion: Taylor Talk Classic “All The Guys Episode”
– The guys discuss how they discovered Taylor Swift.
– How can male listeners relate to songs written from a female perspective?
– What’s it like being a guy in a predominantly female fanbase?
– Are you ever uncomfortable being a guy in a crowd of teenage girls at a Taylor Swift concert?
– Sponsorship from Diet Coke vs Covergirl: Why should a guy care who sponsors Taylor?
– Flash forward to 1989… we now have more gender neutral merchandise!
– Do you ever think Taylor unfairly represents males in her songs?
– Our all-male panel discusses the highly controversial quote from Taylor Swift’s April 2013 Vanity Fair article:
“There’s a special place in hell for women who don’t help other women.”
– Find out why our male cast thinks this quote was taken out of context, who ACTUALLY said it and more.
– August 17 & 18: The 1989 World Tour – Glendale, AZ
– August 21-22, 24-26: The 1989 World Tour – Los Angeles, CA
– August 29: The 1989 World Tour – San Diego, CA
Direct download: 190_Episode_190_-_Taylor_Talk_CLASSIC_-_All_The_Guys_-_Taylor_Talk__The_Taylor_Swift_Podcast.mp3
Category:general -- posted at: 10:38pm PDT
Mon, 3 August 2015
Episode 189 - Dear Swifties, Taylor Swift reminds you to please try to never grow up. This past week, Taylor met her godson, Leo Thames, the son of Jaime King and Kyle Newman, and posted some adorable photos with him on Instagram. In honor of his birth, we discuss “Never Grow Up.” Although the song was never heavily promoted, “Never Grow Up” still continues to be a fan favorite for its poignant and nostalgic lyrics. (I’m not crying. You are.)
What do you think of “Never Grow Up”? Is Taylor mourning the loss of her childhood? How does she think we should try to never grow up? Can we? Leave your response in the comments. Enjoy the episode!
Highlights from Episode 189 of Taylor Talk: The Taylor Swift Podcast
Main Discussion: “Never Grow Up” Song Analysis
– Thanks to listener Rachel for suggesting that we discuss “Never Grow Up” in honor of Taylor’s newborn godson.
– Raise your hand if this song makes you miss your childhood…
– Taylor moved out in July… Leo Thames was born in July… Coincidence? I THINK NOT!
– Why does Taylor change from saying “you” to saying “I”? What’s the emotional impact of the pronoun shift?
– Want more “Never Grow Up”? Steve reminded us that we discussed it previously on Episode 107 for Taylor’s 24th birthday.
– Taylor Talk Challenge: how many months would it take us to get to Episode 1989?
– What would we do without Sami’s @TSwiftOnTour updates?
– You know you’re a Swifty when you buy a Taylor Swift coloring book!!
– We LOVE iTunes reviews! Leave us a review and we’ll read it on the show.
– August 4 & 5: The 1989 World Tour – Edmonton, AB – Rexall Place.
– August 8: The 1989 World Tour – Seattle, WA – CenturyLink Field.
– August 14 & 15: The 1989 World Tour – Santa Clara, CA – Levi’s Stadium.
– August 15: Diane turns…. 24. ugh.
Direct download: 189_Episode_189_-_Never_Grow_Up_-_Taylor_Talk__The_Taylor_Swift_Podcast_2.mp3
Category:general -- posted at: 12:28am PDT