Mon, 22 June 2015
Episode 186 - When Taylor Swift speaks, Apple listens. Early on June 21st, Taylor Swift posted a letter on Tumblr asking Apple to reconsider its compensation structure during the 3 month free trial period for the upcoming Apple Music streaming service. During Apple Music’s 3 month free trial period, Apple said they would not pay the artist, a point Taylor Swift strongly disagreed with. However, by the power of Swift and concerned artists everywhere, APPLE AGREED TO CHANGE THEIR MODEL! This is a huge victory for Taylor and artists everywhere who deserve to be fairly compensated for their art.
But…. that awkward moment when you record a podcast after Taylor wrote her letter to Apple but moments before Apple announced their decision. Cue immediately out-of-date podcast episode. Still though, in Episode 186, Adam and Diane get to debate between Apple vs. Taylor, and discuss the big questions in the music industry right now: How should artists be compensated? Who should compensate them? Even though Apple now sided with Taylor Swift, the compensation discussion is still an important discussion to have. Let us know what you think in the comments below. Enjoy the episode!
Highlights from Episode 186 of Taylor Talk: The Taylor Swift Podcast
Main Discussion: “To Apple, Love Taylor”
– Taylor has been pushing Music Has Value since she wrote her Wall Street Journal editorial last summer.
– We learned with Spotify that if Taylor doesn’t agree with a music streaming service’s compensation structure, she’s out.
– “We don’t ask you for free iPhones. Please don’t ask us to provide you with our music for no compensation.” BOOM.
– The Apple fanboy in Adam has a hard time deciding whether or not to side with Team Apple or Team Swift (Spoiler alert: Apple is Team Swift).
– The big question: Does a music streaming service’s promotion of the artist count as compensation?
– If Taylor can influence the largest company on the planet, what else is she capable of?
– Happy Father’s Day to all the dads out there, including Scott Swift!
– Echosmith, Rachel Platten, Cara Delevingne, and Mariska Hargitay surprised the crowd at the 1989 World Tour stop in Philadelphia!
– You know you’re a Swifty when there was never a more perfect time to wear your TEAM TAYLOR jersey.
– June 21: The 1989 World Tour – Amsterdam
– June 23: The 1989 World Tour – Glasgow, Scotland, UK
– June 24: The 1989 World Tour – Manchester, UK
– June 27: The 1989 World Tour – London, UK
– June 29 & 30: The 1989 World Tour – Dublin, Ireland
Direct download: 186_Episode_186_-_To_Apple_Love_Taylor_-_Taylor_Talk__The_Taylor_Swift_Podcast.mp3
Category:general -- posted at: 12:38am PDT
Sun, 7 June 2015
I Wish You Would - Episode 185 - Taylor Talk: The Taylor Swift Podcast -- Swifties are also listening to Kelsea Ballerini & Fight Song by Rachel Platten
Episode 185 - Taylor Talk gives you everything and nothing. Just kidding. We give you a new episode, of course! In Episode 185 of Taylor Talk: The Taylor Swift Podcast, your hosts delve into the narrative complexity that is “I Wish You Would.” Taylor Swift wrote this song with Jack Antonoff, and they were inspired by the John Hughes movies of the 1980s. Which movie does this song remind you of? What’s your favorite lyric in the song? We’d love to hear your thoughts. Enjoy the episode!
Highlights from Episode 185 of Taylor Talk: The Taylor Swift Podcast
Main Discussion: “I Wish You Would” Song Analysis
– Fun fact: Taylor wrote this song based on a track Jack Antonoff gave her.
– Why does 2AM seem to constantly re-appear in Taylor’s songs?
– Serious question: why can’t this girl pick up the phone and tell him what she never said?
– We analyze her most creative lyric: “We’re a crooked love, in a straight line down.”
– Diane realizes something mid-episode that changes EVERYTHING!
– Check out Steve’s “I Wish You Would” Spotify Playlist: https://open.spotify.com/user/stevesplaylist/playlist/524ypzVyWk9fkBKdcr47Gg
– So far, Taylor has had Dan Reynolds of Imagine Dragons and Little Big Town as surprise guests on tour!
– Remember: you MUST go visit Taylor Nation Headquarters if you attend a concert!
– Swifties (and Taylor Swift) are listening to “Fight Song” by Rachel Platten.
– The Swifties and Taylor are also listening to Kelsea Ballerini! Check out her interview with us on Taylor Talk Episode 178.
– June 8: The 1989 World Tour – Charlotte, NC
– June 9: The 1989 World Tour – Raleigh, NC
– June 12 & 13: The 1989 World Tour – Philadelphia, PA
– June 19 & 20: The 1989 World Tour – Cologne, Germany.
Direct download: 185_Episode_185_-_I_Wish_You_Would_-_Taylor_Talk__The_Taylor_Swift_Podcast.mp3
Category:general -- posted at: 5:51pm PDT