Sun, 27 September 2015
Ryan Adams 1989 and Vanity Fair - Episode 193 - Taylor Talk: The Taylor Swift Podcast - Swifties are also listening to House Party by Sam Hunt
Episode 193 - Taylor Swift’s got the moves like Jagger. In Episode 193, your hosts Adam, Diane, and Steve recap Taylor Swift’s 1989 World Tour Nashville stop as well as discuss Taylor’s revealing interview with Vanity Fair. The interview highlights Taylor’s response to the Apple Music incident, a potential Kayne-Taylor collaboration, and whose careers Taylor most admires. In the interview, Taylor still maintains that 1989 is her most “sonically cohesive” album. What do you think? Do you think 1989 is sonically cohesive or do some songs stick out more than others? Leave your thoughts in the comments below. Happy listening!
Highlights from Episode 193 of Taylor Talk: The Taylor Swift Podcast
Main Discussion: Taylor Swift’s Vanity Fair Cover
– Tip: When a magazine says “Source close to Swift says…”, it’s a lie.
– Do you think 1989 is the most sonically cohesive album?
– Taylor gives us the behind-the-scenes account of the Apple Music incident in Vanity Fair.
– Unlike previous eras, Taylor now keeps up with the gossip surrounding her.
– What would a Kayne/Taylor collaboration sound like?
– Who Taylor admires says a lot about how she runs her business.
– Question for comments: which song on 1989 stands out and makes the album not perfectly sonically cohesive?
– It’s the return of Stump the Host (can someone try to stump Diane for the next show?)
– Taylor did not hold back with surprise guests from the Nashville 1989 shows!!
– Ryan Adams’ 1989 cover album is now available. What did you think of it?
– You know you’re a Swifty when you have a Taylor Swift coloring book!
– Swifties are having a house party listening to “House Party” by Sam Hunt.
September 28 – 1989 World Tour – St. Louis, MO
October 2 & 3 – 1989 World Tour – Toronto, ON
October 8 – 1989 World Tour – Des Moines, IA
October 9 – 1989 World Tour – Omaha, NE
Direct download: 193_Episode_193_-_Vanity_Fair_Ryan_Adams_-_Taylor_Talk__The_Taylor_Swift_Podcast.mp3
Category:general -- posted at: 10:24pm PST
Sun, 13 September 2015
Episode 192 - It’s Diane’s turn for Taylor Talk Classic… Out of the Woods! In Episode 192, the hosts relive how they marveled at the masterpiece that is “Out of the Woods,” a song off Taylor’s album, 1989, co-written by Taylor Swift and Jack Antonoff. Taylor said this song is about the “fragility” of a relationship and tried to make the music match the frantic feeling of wondering if the relationship will end tomorrow or continue on. You know the hosts loved the song (now and forever), but what do you think? Feel free to share your thoughts. Happy listening!
Highlights from Episode 192 of Taylor Talk: The Taylor Swift Podcast
Main Discussion: “Out of the Woods” by Taylor Swift and Jack Antonoff
– Jack Antonoff, co-writer, calls this song “one of the most important things I’ve ever been a part of.”
– What were your initial reactions when you heard the song? Diane’s was one word: WHOA
– We predict that Taylor Swift will single handedly revive the Polaroid brand.
– Is the chorus too repetitive? No. This is repetition with a purpose.
– We admire Taylor and Jack’s mastery of the English language. “Built to fall apart” is amaaaazing.
– What’s your favorite song lyric? Can you pick just one?
– We compare “Out of the Woods” to some of Taylor’s other songs. All Too Well 2.0 anyone?
– If Jack Antonoff and Taylor Swift can create a song like this when they’re so young, imagine what else they have in store for us down the road.
Direct download: 192_Episode_192_-_Out_Of_The_Woods_-_Taylor_Talk__The_Taylor_Swift_Podcast.mp3
Category:general -- posted at: 11:25pm PST
Sun, 30 August 2015
Episode 191 - Say you’ll remember me, even if it’s just pretend… Ladies and gentlemen, the music video you have been waiting for has arrived. The music video for “Wildest Dreams” is out now and it is absolute perfection!!! (You can hear the fangirl in my voice!) In Episode 191, your hosts Adam, Diane, and Steve break down the “Wildest Dream” music video thematically and discuss how the visual elements (Old Hollywood, Africa) relate to the story of the song. Since there was so much detail in this video, we’re sure we may have missed some moments, so let us know what your favorite parts were. What did you think of the video? Happy listening!
Highlights from Episode 191 of Taylor Talk: The Taylor Swift Podcast
Main Discussion: “Wildest Dreams” Music Video
– I think we can agree that this was the perfect video for the perfect song!!!
– The video took the lyric “even if it’s just pretend” and ran with it… Cue shattering heartbreak.
– How did Old Hollywood and shots of Africa contribute to the theme of the song?
– Steve notes Taylor’s strong resemblance to Ava Gardner.
– All of Taylor’s proceeds from the music video will be donated to wild animal conservation efforts through the African Parks Foundation of America.
– There were so many guests at Taylor’s five sold-out LA shows that it was hard to keep track. (Oops! We forgot America’s sweetheart, Ellen DeGeneres.)
– Nicki Minaj opened the MTV VMAs with Taylor Swift as her surprise guest! Looks like there’s no bad blood between them.
– And Video of the Year goes to…. Taylor Swift for “Bad Blood”!!!
– September 4: The 1989 World Tour – Salt Lake City, UT
– September 5 & 6: The 1989 World Tour – Denver, CO
– September 9: The 1989 World Tour – Houston, TX
– September 11 & 12: The 1989 World Tour – St. Paul, MN
Direct download: 191_Episode_191_-_Wildest_Dreams_Music_Video_-_Taylor_Talk__The_Taylor_Swift_Podcast.mp3
Category:general -- posted at: 9:51pm PST
Sun, 16 August 2015
Episode 190 - Swifties, this week we bring you the first Taylor Talk Classic! As Adam so charismatically explains in this episode’s introduction, we have years worth of content we want to share with you (just in case you haven’t listened to every single episode!) Adam chose one of his favorites this week, the “All The Guys” episode, which was originally released in March 2013. Listen up to gain some insight on what it’s like to be a male Swifty. (And fun fact: this was Steve’s first Taylor Talk episode!) Enjoy!
Highlights from Episode 190 of Taylor Talk: The Taylor Swift Podcast
Main Discussion: Taylor Talk Classic “All The Guys Episode”
– The guys discuss how they discovered Taylor Swift.
– How can male listeners relate to songs written from a female perspective?
– What’s it like being a guy in a predominantly female fanbase?
– Are you ever uncomfortable being a guy in a crowd of teenage girls at a Taylor Swift concert?
– Sponsorship from Diet Coke vs Covergirl: Why should a guy care who sponsors Taylor?
– Flash forward to 1989… we now have more gender neutral merchandise!
– Do you ever think Taylor unfairly represents males in her songs?
– Our all-male panel discusses the highly controversial quote from Taylor Swift’s April 2013 Vanity Fair article:
“There’s a special place in hell for women who don’t help other women.”
– Find out why our male cast thinks this quote was taken out of context, who ACTUALLY said it and more.
– August 17 & 18: The 1989 World Tour – Glendale, AZ
– August 21-22, 24-26: The 1989 World Tour – Los Angeles, CA
– August 29: The 1989 World Tour – San Diego, CA
Direct download: 190_Episode_190_-_Taylor_Talk_CLASSIC_-_All_The_Guys_-_Taylor_Talk__The_Taylor_Swift_Podcast.mp3
Category:general -- posted at: 10:38pm PST
Mon, 3 August 2015
Episode 189 - Dear Swifties, Taylor Swift reminds you to please try to never grow up. This past week, Taylor met her godson, Leo Thames, the son of Jaime King and Kyle Newman, and posted some adorable photos with him on Instagram. In honor of his birth, we discuss “Never Grow Up.” Although the song was never heavily promoted, “Never Grow Up” still continues to be a fan favorite for its poignant and nostalgic lyrics. (I’m not crying. You are.)
What do you think of “Never Grow Up”? Is Taylor mourning the loss of her childhood? How does she think we should try to never grow up? Can we? Leave your response in the comments. Enjoy the episode!
Highlights from Episode 189 of Taylor Talk: The Taylor Swift Podcast
Main Discussion: “Never Grow Up” Song Analysis
– Thanks to listener Rachel for suggesting that we discuss “Never Grow Up” in honor of Taylor’s newborn godson.
– Raise your hand if this song makes you miss your childhood…
– Taylor moved out in July… Leo Thames was born in July… Coincidence? I THINK NOT!
– Why does Taylor change from saying “you” to saying “I”? What’s the emotional impact of the pronoun shift?
– Want more “Never Grow Up”? Steve reminded us that we discussed it previously on Episode 107 for Taylor’s 24th birthday.
– Taylor Talk Challenge: how many months would it take us to get to Episode 1989?
– What would we do without Sami’s @TSwiftOnTour updates?
– You know you’re a Swifty when you buy a Taylor Swift coloring book!!
– We LOVE iTunes reviews! Leave us a review and we’ll read it on the show.
– August 4 & 5: The 1989 World Tour – Edmonton, AB – Rexall Place.
– August 8: The 1989 World Tour – Seattle, WA – CenturyLink Field.
– August 14 & 15: The 1989 World Tour – Santa Clara, CA – Levi’s Stadium.
– August 15: Diane turns…. 24. ugh.
Direct download: 189_Episode_189_-_Never_Grow_Up_-_Taylor_Talk__The_Taylor_Swift_Podcast_2.mp3
Category:general -- posted at: 12:28am PST
Sun, 19 July 2015
Episode 188 - I was reminiscing just the other day… about doing a throwback song analysis that took me away! On Episode 188 of Taylor Talk: The Taylor Swift Podcast, we discuss “Holy Ground,” a song from the RED album that we believe completes the growth/story arc from “Forever & Always,” to “Last Kiss,” and ending with “Holy Ground” (which are all songs rumored to be about the same person). “Holy Ground” is such a mature way to look at a past relationship. We can learn a lot from Taylor Swift.
What’s your take on the song? Particularly, what do you make of the lyric, “and I see your face in every crowd”? Post your thoughts in the comments below. Enjoy!
Direct download: 188_Episode_188_-_Holy_Ground_-_Taylor_Talk__The_Taylor_Swift_Podcast.mp3
Category:general -- posted at: 11:35pm PST
Mon, 6 July 2015
The Taylor Swift Experience - A Walk Through The Grammy Museum - Episode 187 - Taylor Talk: The Taylor Swift Podcast -- Swifties are also listening to Hurricane by Bridgit Mendler
Direct download: 187_Episode_187_-_The_Taylor_Swift_Experience_-_Taylor_Talk__The_Taylor_Swift_Podcast.mp3
Category:general -- posted at: 1:36am PST
Mon, 22 June 2015
Episode 186 - When Taylor Swift speaks, Apple listens. Early on June 21st, Taylor Swift posted a letter on Tumblr asking Apple to reconsider its compensation structure during the 3 month free trial period for the upcoming Apple Music streaming service. During Apple Music’s 3 month free trial period, Apple said they would not pay the artist, a point Taylor Swift strongly disagreed with. However, by the power of Swift and concerned artists everywhere, APPLE AGREED TO CHANGE THEIR MODEL! This is a huge victory for Taylor and artists everywhere who deserve to be fairly compensated for their art.
But…. that awkward moment when you record a podcast after Taylor wrote her letter to Apple but moments before Apple announced their decision. Cue immediately out-of-date podcast episode. Still though, in Episode 186, Adam and Diane get to debate between Apple vs. Taylor, and discuss the big questions in the music industry right now: How should artists be compensated? Who should compensate them? Even though Apple now sided with Taylor Swift, the compensation discussion is still an important discussion to have. Let us know what you think in the comments below. Enjoy the episode!
Highlights from Episode 186 of Taylor Talk: The Taylor Swift Podcast
Main Discussion: “To Apple, Love Taylor”
– Taylor has been pushing Music Has Value since she wrote her Wall Street Journal editorial last summer.
– We learned with Spotify that if Taylor doesn’t agree with a music streaming service’s compensation structure, she’s out.
– “We don’t ask you for free iPhones. Please don’t ask us to provide you with our music for no compensation.” BOOM.
– The Apple fanboy in Adam has a hard time deciding whether or not to side with Team Apple or Team Swift (Spoiler alert: Apple is Team Swift).
– The big question: Does a music streaming service’s promotion of the artist count as compensation?
– If Taylor can influence the largest company on the planet, what else is she capable of?
– Happy Father’s Day to all the dads out there, including Scott Swift!
– Echosmith, Rachel Platten, Cara Delevingne, and Mariska Hargitay surprised the crowd at the 1989 World Tour stop in Philadelphia!
– You know you’re a Swifty when there was never a more perfect time to wear your TEAM TAYLOR jersey.
– June 21: The 1989 World Tour – Amsterdam
– June 23: The 1989 World Tour – Glasgow, Scotland, UK
– June 24: The 1989 World Tour – Manchester, UK
– June 27: The 1989 World Tour – London, UK
– June 29 & 30: The 1989 World Tour – Dublin, Ireland
Direct download: 186_Episode_186_-_To_Apple_Love_Taylor_-_Taylor_Talk__The_Taylor_Swift_Podcast.mp3
Category:general -- posted at: 12:38am PST
Sun, 7 June 2015
I Wish You Would - Episode 185 - Taylor Talk: The Taylor Swift Podcast -- Swifties are also listening to Kelsea Ballerini & Fight Song by Rachel Platten
Episode 185 - Taylor Talk gives you everything and nothing. Just kidding. We give you a new episode, of course! In Episode 185 of Taylor Talk: The Taylor Swift Podcast, your hosts delve into the narrative complexity that is “I Wish You Would.” Taylor Swift wrote this song with Jack Antonoff, and they were inspired by the John Hughes movies of the 1980s. Which movie does this song remind you of? What’s your favorite lyric in the song? We’d love to hear your thoughts. Enjoy the episode!
Highlights from Episode 185 of Taylor Talk: The Taylor Swift Podcast
Main Discussion: “I Wish You Would” Song Analysis
– Fun fact: Taylor wrote this song based on a track Jack Antonoff gave her.
– Why does 2AM seem to constantly re-appear in Taylor’s songs?
– Serious question: why can’t this girl pick up the phone and tell him what she never said?
– We analyze her most creative lyric: “We’re a crooked love, in a straight line down.”
– Diane realizes something mid-episode that changes EVERYTHING!
– Check out Steve’s “I Wish You Would” Spotify Playlist: https://open.spotify.com/user/stevesplaylist/playlist/524ypzVyWk9fkBKdcr47Gg
– So far, Taylor has had Dan Reynolds of Imagine Dragons and Little Big Town as surprise guests on tour!
– Remember: you MUST go visit Taylor Nation Headquarters if you attend a concert!
– Swifties (and Taylor Swift) are listening to “Fight Song” by Rachel Platten.
– The Swifties and Taylor are also listening to Kelsea Ballerini! Check out her interview with us on Taylor Talk Episode 178.
– June 8: The 1989 World Tour – Charlotte, NC
– June 9: The 1989 World Tour – Raleigh, NC
– June 12 & 13: The 1989 World Tour – Philadelphia, PA
– June 19 & 20: The 1989 World Tour – Cologne, Germany.
Direct download: 185_Episode_185_-_I_Wish_You_Would_-_Taylor_Talk__The_Taylor_Swift_Podcast.mp3
Category:general -- posted at: 5:51pm PST
Mon, 25 May 2015
1989 World Tour - Bad Blood, Blank Space, Shake It Off, and More! - Episode 184 - Taylor Talk: The Taylor Swift Podcast
Episode 184 - 1989 TOUR SPOILERS GALORE! In Episode 184 of Taylor Talk: The Taylor Swift Podcast, Adam and Diane bring you their review of Taylor Swift’s 1989 Tour. After seeing the show at Rock In Rio in Vegas and in Bossier City, Louisiana, we wanted to give you our initial impressions of Taylor’s new show. We discuss the setlist in detail, Taylor’s elaborate costumes, dancers, and more. If you haven’t seen the show yet and don’t care about being spoiled, listen up! And if you have seen the show, what did you think? Enjoy the episode!
Highlights from Episode 184 of Taylor Talk: The Taylor Swift Podcast
Main Discussion: 1989 World Tour Initial Review
– If you want to stay 1989 Tour spoiler-free, do not listen to this episode!!
– We go song by song and describe each performance of 1989.
– Which song stole the show?
– If you’ve seen the 1989 tour, did anything disappoint you?
– Remember: you MUST go visit Taylor Nation Headquarters if you attend a concert!
– Taylor Swift broke a VEVO record with most views in a single day for “Bad Blood”!! (We’re not surprised though).
– We think we may have figured out what “on D like DOC” means in Kendrick Lamar’s “Bad Blood” rap. Maybe.
– You know you’re a Swifty when you make up choreography for every song off 1989 and you’re essentially an official tour dancer.
– Swifties are listening to “Shut Up and Dance” by Walk The Moon.
– May 30: The 1989 World Tour – Detroit, MI.
– June 2: The 1989 World Tour – Louisville, KY.
– June 3: The 1989 World Tour – Cleveland, OH.
– June 6: The 1989 World Tour – Pittsburgh, PA.
Direct download: 184_Episode_184_-_1989_World_Tour_-_Taylor_Talk__The_Taylor_Swift_Podcast.mp3
Category:general -- posted at: 12:48am PST